Guidelines for Leading Corporate Prayer
Guidelines for leading corporate prayer at Crystal Park Baptist Church Benoni.
Before Corporate Prayer
- Unable to fulfil a duty? Give the service coordinator (see duty roster) sufficient notice.
- Inform the service coordinator and worship leader that you are present when you arrive.
- Be seated on the aisle in such a way as to minimise distraction.
- Be prepared to come up immediately when the corporate prayer slide goes up.
- Do not tamper with the lectern.
- Always use the mic.
- Do not test the mic by blowing into it.
- Corporate prayer should take 3-5 minutes.
Inform the Congregation
- This is an expression of our unity before God.
- This is an opportunity for heads of families to grow in the discipline of corporate prayer.
The Corporate Prayer
- As far as possible use plural nouns we and our over personal nouns I and me.
- Corporate prayer requires preparation. Do be aware of specific blessings received that we can thank God for; or specific petitions to bring before Him.
- You may read a short passage of Scripture but please do not expound it.
- As far as possible be specific in prayer. Here are some ideas:
- Adore God. Praise Him for His attributes, His works, His Son, His salvation.
- Confess sin. Give some time for appropriate acknowledgement of how far we fall short of His standard. It may be appropriate to have a short time of reflection.
- Thank God. For specific blessing in the life of the church or individuals.
- Pray for members of Crystal Park Baptist Church Benoni’s spiritual growth, marriages, spiritual heads of families, children. Our elders (Mark and Warren), deacons (Katleho and Tammi), Bible study leaders. Work and employment needs in our church.
- The various ministries in our local church.
- Churches we partner with. Northmead Baptist Church (Craig and Steve), Moletsane Baptist Church Soweto (Sammy and Menzi), Florida Baptist Church (Gideon), Midrand Chapel (Chris). Specific local churches from Sola 5 or Baptist Northern Association. The Church of South Africa or other countries.
- Our country, president (Cyril Ramaphosa), national government, provincial government, mayor (Mzwandile Masina), Ward 24 counsellor (Kabelo Mahonko).
- SAPS, our station commander (Belinda Motaung), EMPD, Fire Department, Medical Services
- Local schools (Crystal Park Primary School, Crystal Park High School, Jahari Christian Academy, Noordelig, Ashbury, Prestige College).