Membership Matters – Session 2
- Download 22
- File Size 71.50 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date October 16, 2019
- Last Updated October 24, 2019
Membership Matters - Session 2
You want to Join us?
You want to join Crystal Park Baptist Church Benoni? That's great! This course helps us learn about you and helps you learn about us.
There are 5 sessions you must to go through. You may do the sessions with a group of member candidates in membership classes. Or you may do the sessions one on one with a member of the church.
Each session takes 1 hour to complete. At the end of each session there is some homework you will need to Fill in and Return to us.
There are resources listed as For Further Study. While you're encouraged to listen or watch them it's not required.
In Session 2 we will answer the question What is Baptism? We will if you accept our Statement of Faith and will abide by our Constitution.
What is Baptism?
Believer baptism by full immersion is an outward symbol of an inward reality. In baptism we identify with Jesus Christ and His Church.
The Greek word baptizo means ‘immerse’. Baptism is an act of immersion in water (Mk 1:10; Acts 8:36, 38). Only those who have believed that Jesus died for their sins, rose from the grave and have repented are to be baptised, as a precursor to church membership (Ac 2:36-41; 16:29-34).
Believer baptism symbolizes identification with Jesus Christ and His Church in obedience to Him as Lord (Ro 6:3-4).
Believer baptism is not a step of salvation. It is an outward symbol of an inward reality which we are commanded to go through (Mt 28:18-20).
Fill in and Return
I have been baptised as a believer by full immersion.
I would like to be baptised as a believer by full immersion.
For Further Study
Baptism Debate (MacArthur and Sproul) - https://tinyurl.com/yad4bule
What is our Statement of Belief?
Our elders teach according to the the Sola 5 Confession of Faith, we intend in future for our members to hold the Baptist Northern Association's 2017 Statement of Belief; but for the time being our members affirm the Baptist Union of Southern Africa's 1924 Statement of Belief.
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New testaments in their original writing as written by men inspired by God. The Scriptures are true, without any mix of error. They are God’s clear revelation of Himself to man and testify to Christ, the focus of divine revelation and contain all things essential for God’s Glory, human salvation, faith and obedience. We accept them as the supreme, final and timeless authority.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
4. We believe that God created man in His own image: that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of death, physical and spiritual: that all human beings inherit a sinful nature which issues in actual transgression involving personal guilt.
5. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, a substitutionary sacrifice, according to the Scriptures, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
6. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, his ascension into heaven, and His present life as our High Priest and Advocate.
7. We believe in the personal, visible and triumphant return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
8. We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
9. We believe in the resurrection both of the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed and the eternal banishment of those who have rejected the offer of salvation.
10. We believe that the one true Church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local Church on earth should take its character from this conception of the Church spiritual, and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of Christ are essentials of Church membership.
11. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed two ordinances – Baptism and the Lord’s Supper – to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the cardinal facts of the Christian faith; that Baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as a confession of identification with Christ in burial and resurrection, and that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of bread and wine as symbolical of the Saviour’s broken body and shed blood, in remembrance of His sacrificial death until He comes.
12. We believe that God has ordained marriage as a heterosexual relationship between a natural man and a natural woman.
Fill in and Return
I affirm Crystal Park Baptist Church's Statement of Belief.
I will abide by Crystal Park Baptist Church Benoni's Constitution.
For Further Study
No Creed but Christ? (Mark Dever) - https://youtu.be/1VVmMxhK6Cg
Our Constitution - https://tinyurl.com/yyujbbju
The BNA's Statement of Belief - https://tinyurl.com/y65lhofd
The Sola 5 Confession of Faith - https://tinyurl.com/y34jy2dn