Example of Leading Communion
Here is an example of leading communion at Crystal Park Baptist Church Benoni. How does your church do communion? If you have a recorded example online please drop us a email so we can learn (email@example.com).
Guidelines for Leading Communion
Communion is a high point of our corporate worship service. In it we are reminded of our unity with Christ and our unity with each other.
Team Leader and Team
- See Appendix 1: Communion Team Leader and Team.
- Your communion message must be well prepared. This is a teaching moment in our service.
- If you are unable to fulfil your duty please give your team leader sufficient notice.
- Please arrive no later than 8:15am for the 8:30am service.
- Inform the service coordinator and worship leader that you are present when you arrive.
Before the Services
- Inform the projectionist of your passage and the translation you use (default is CSB).
- Be seated when the bell rings 5mins before each service.
- Be seated in such a way as to minimise distraction when you come up.
- Anticipate coming up immediately when the communion slide goes up.
Before the Communion Message
- Do not tamper with the lectern.
- Always use the mic.
- Do not test the mic by blowing into it.
- Do not put your hands into your pockets.
- The communion should take 7-10 minutes.
Inform the Congregation
- Call up the stewards. They wait at the front during the communion message.
- “Communion is open to all who have placed their faith in Jesus and are in good standing with their local church.”
- “Anyone who hasn’t placed their faith in Jesus is to let the elements pass by.”
- “Parents are to exercise authority over believing children and teens.”
- “Other children and teens must speak to an elder before taking communion.”
- “The congregation is to wait when they receive the elements so we can partake together.”
The Communion Message
- The message should take 3-5 minutes.
- Read and expound from one text only. Make only one point.
- Call for a short time of silence after the message.
Distribution of the Communion Elements
- Pray before eating the bread. Wait.
- Pray before drinking the cup. Wait.
- Close in a short prayer.
- You lead communion at both the 8:30 and 10:30 service.
- You are free to leave after communion in the 10:30 service.
How Does Communion Feel?
Team Leader and Team
- Mark Penrith (Team Leader)
- Jake Msimango
- Sifiso Pule
- Genesis 22:7-8
- Psalm 22:15-19
- Psalm 40:6-8
- Isaiah 53:4-9
- Mark 14:22-26
- Luke 22:7-20
- John 6:53-56
- 1 Corinthians 5:7
- 1 Corinthians 10:15-22
- 1 Corinthians 11:17-22
- 1 Corinthians 11:27-34
- Romans 3:22-26
- Romans 5:9
- Ephesians 1:7-8
- Ephesians 2:13
- Ephesians 5:2
- Colossians 1:19-20
- Hebrews 9:11-22
- Hebrews 9:25-28
- Hebrews 10:5-10
- Hebrews 10:19-22
- Hebrews 12:22-24
- Hebrews 13:11-15